There are several guidelines to follow.
- For the first five reports, he has to choose a book from each of the following categories: Christian fiction, information, classic, biography, and Christian biography. For the sixth book, he gets to choose from any of those five categories.
- Each book has to be 150-250 pages in length.
- The book has to be one that he has not read before, and it must be suitable.
I appreciate the fact that the A Beka Academy maintains high standards when checking books for suitability.
The oral book report has two parts: the written preparation and the oral presentation. The written preparation includes the introduction, body (written in topical outline form), and the conclusion of the report.
- For the oral presentation he received points for posture, eye contact, enthusiasm, smoothness, expression, poise, gestures and mannerisms.
- He had to follow a specific procedure in preparing the oral book report.
- He had to write a first draft, revise it, and write the final draft.
- He made reminder cards, one for each main point in the outline.
- Then, he had to memorize his introduction and conclusion.
Finally, he had to practice it aloud several times until he was able to give the report smoothly within the time limit.