1. Learn to recognize the short vowels and their sounds.
2. Learn to recognize the consonants and their sounds.
3. Learn to blend a consonant and vowel together.
4. Learn to sound one-vowel words. (When there is one vowel in a word, that vowel usually says its short name.)
5. Learn the sounds of the long vowels. Learn to sound two-vowel words. (When there are two vowels in a word, the first vowel says its long sound, and the second vowel is silent.)
6. Learn and apply the special phonics sounds.
Learning to apply the special phonics sounds in daily reading practice helps your child gain confidence in reading.